Feel the Power of Beets – Build Your Stamina
Guest Blogger: Vincent Renner, Tasty6
Amazing Benefits of Raw Beet Juice
While the initial reaction I get from people who try our beet juice STAMINATOR is that they either love or hate Beets, the scientifically researched health benefits are truly amazing. And hence make it important that we all try to show the Beets some LOVE! And while many love it and for others yet it is an acquired taste, it is a further amazing how speedy and easy it is to unlock the benefits once you integrate beets into your diet.
It has only been in recent decades that scientific research has focused on the health benefits of BEETS as a “functional food”, and the benefits are mindboggling (1), (2), (3):
- Proven to improves blood flow to your muscles & increases stamina;
- Very high in antioxidants and nitrates;
- Good for cardiovascular health as it lowers blood pressure significantly and manages hypertension;
- Lowers oxidative stress and inflammation;
Beets juice increases Stamina by significantly improving Blood Flow – allows for better use of Oxygen, improves Brain functioning and reduces Blood Pressure
Beets contain high amounts of nitrates, a compound which improves blood flow throughout the whole body, including muscles, the heart and brain. Increasing nitric oxide in the blood vessels allows blood vessels to open up further and thereby enhances uptake of oxygen. Beet juice “…improves muscle efficiency and endurance exercise” and “…improves performance during intense intermittent exercise” (3 In addition, it has been shown that “…dietary nitrate may be useful in improving regional brain [blood delivery] in older adults in critical brain areas known to be involved in executive functioning” (6).
Finally, “… beetroot juice supplementation [is] associated with a significant reduction in systolic Blood Pressure” (2),
Beet Juice as a high source of Antioxidants and Anti-Inflammatory Agents
Beetroot is a rich source of “phytochemical compounds, that includes ascorbic acid, carotenoids, phenolic acids and flavonoids”(1), and one of the few sources of the betalains, which are strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capabilities and are being investigated for “…helping with reduction in oxidative stress, chronic inflammation such as liver disease and arthritis and cancer (4)(5)”.
Just 5 oz of Raw Beet Juice a day needed to get the necessary benefits
Research shows that with just 3 to 5 oz of Raw Beet Juice not large quantities are needed to obtain the beneficial effects to beetroots, but rather 3 to 5 oz of raw beet root juice a day (7).
While often it is best to eat the whole fruit or vegetable to get all the nutrients and fiber, beets when cooked or fermented may loose some of the vitamins and anti-oxidants. Drinking raw beet juice may allow for maximum nutrient availability and easy absorption.
Are There Any Side Effects to Drinking Beet Juice?
People who have naturally low blood pressure should use caution when drinking beet juice, as it may lead to an unsafe drop in blood pressure and make them feel lightheaded (7). Also, the red betalain pigmentation of beet juice color your urine and bowel movement red, which is harmless. The nitrates found in Beets are naturally occurring and convert to safe nitrites in your body, and have nothing to do with the unhealthy nitrites used in preserving meats.
Conclusion: LOVE the BEETS – be a STAMINATOR
Raw Beet Juice is a useful and very healthy addition to your diet and for a healthy lifestyle. Tasty6 offers a powerful Raw Beet Juice, called STAMINATOR. It was designed to bring close to 7 oz of raw Red Beet juice, plus the power of Italian Parsley, Cucumber, Lemon and Apple and Himalayan Salt.
*Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only; it is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.
(1) “The Potential Benefits of Red Beetroot Supplementation in Health and Disease”, Nutrients. 2015 Apr; 7(4): 2801–2822. Published online 2015 Apr 14. doi: 10.3390/nu7042801PMCID: PMC4425174 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4425174/
(2) “Blood pressure-lowering effects of beetroot juice and novel beetroot-enriched bread products in normotensive male subjects.” Br J Nutr. 2012 Dec 14;108(11):2066-74. doi:10.1017/S0007114512000190. Epub 2012 Mar 14.Hobbs DA1, Kaffa N, George TW, Methven L, Lovegrove JA.
(3) “Dietary nitrate supplementation improves team sport-specific intense intermittent exercise performance”. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2013 Jul;113(7):1673-84. doi: 10.1007/s00421-013-2589-8. Epub 2013 Feb 1. Wylie LJ1, Mohr M, Krustrup P, Jackman SR, Ermιdis G, Kelly J, Black MI, Bailey SJ, Vanhatalo A, Jones AM.
(4) “Cytotoxic effect of the red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) extract compared to doxorubicin (Adriamycin) in the human prostate (PC-3) and breast (MCF-7) cancer cell lines” .Kapadia G.J., Azuine M.A., Rao G.S., Arai T., Iida A., Tokuda H. Anti -Cancer Agent Med. Chem. 2011;11:280–284. doi: 10.2174/187152011795347504. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
(5) “Beet root juice promotes apoptosis in oncogenic MDA-MB-231 cells while protecting cardiomyocytes under doxorubicin treatment. “Das S., Williams D.S., Das A., Kukreja R.C. J. Exp. Second. Sci. 2013;2:1–6.
(6) “Acute effect of a high nitrate diet on brain perfusion in older adults.” Nitric Oxide. 2011 Jan 1;24(1):34-42. doi: 10.1016/j.niox.2010.10.002. Epub 2010 Oct 15.Presley TD1, Morgan AR, Bechtold E, Clodfelter W, Dove RW, Jennings JM, Kraft RA, King SB, Laurienti PJ, Rejeski WJ, Burdette JH, Kim-Shapiro DB, Miller GD.
(7) “One Week of Daily Dosing With Beetroot Juice Improves Submaximal Endurance and Blood Pressure in Older Patients With Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction.” JACC Heart Fail. 2016 Jun;4(6):428-37. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2015.12.013. Epub 2016 Feb 10. Eggebeen J1, Kim-Shapiro DB2, Haykowsky M3, Morgan TM4, Basu S5, Brubaker P6, Rejeski J6, Kitzman DW7.